Chapter Development and Student Program Manager
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) seeks an articulate, creative, and experienced grassroots organizer to conduct field outreach, coordinate chapter development activities and manage the PSR Student Program (SPSR).
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) is a national not-for-profit advocacy and public policy organization. PSR asserts a strong medical voice through education and advocacy to (1) prevent nuclear war and development and use of nuclear weapons and to reduce the role of armed force in US foreign and security policy, emphasizing alternative strategies for conflict resolution; (2) reduce global warming and toxic degradation of the environment; and (3) oppose the construction of new nuclear power plants in the United States.
PSR has a grassroots network of thirty-one affiliated chapters across the country, forty medical student chapters, and over 50,000 members and e-activists regularly engaged on PSR's issues.
The successful candidate will fill two related roles in the organization: field outreach and development of PSR chapters and organizing and overall management of SPSR. He/she will coordinate with program directors, to ensure effective integration of programmatic work being done in PSR's three issue areas by national staff, chapters, and student chapters. He/she reports to the Executive Director.
Chapter Development and Outreach:
- Assess PSR's chapter network and identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges for future growth.
- Develop trainings, support materials, etc. to meet identified chapter organizational development needs.
- Serve as PSR national office liaison on organizational development issues for chapter network.
- Facilitate development of new chapters and/or PSR "core groups".
- Devise and implement strategies to grow PSR's network of health professionals.
- Develop messages, materials and messengers for outreach
- Work collaboratively with other program staff to grow and maximize use of the website and activists list to advance campaign visibility and activism through email alerts, advocate newsletters, and social networking.
Student Program Manager responsibilities:
· Work with volunteer student representatives to service ongoing programmatic and structural needs of student chapters across the country.
· Work with security, environment and health, and safe energy program directors to ensure that PSR programmatic initiatives are conveyed to and carried out within student chapters. Produce and/or update SPSR materials for campus education and recruitment.
· Serve as PSR liaison to the American Medical Student Association and other student groups and assist with ongoing Medical Alliance efforts.
· Serve as editor and maintain SPSR quarterly newsletter and SPSR web site.
· Maintain regular telephone and email contact with SPSR chapter leaders, and help identify and recruit SPSR faculty contacts and mentors.
· Coordinate with and assist in fund-raising, development, and membership efforts as needed to build PSR medical campus activities.
· Smart, hard working, professional team member ready and willing to undertake necessary tasks.
· Strong work ethic with can do attitude and passion for working on one or more of PSR's mission areas: nuclear disarmament, environmental health, global warming, or nuclear power.
· Bachelors degree with experience in organizing, advocacy, and communications,
· Experience working in a team environment.
· Understanding and appreciation for importance of utilizing a vibrant grassroots network to accomplish program goals.
· Excellent and proven analytical, organizational, written and oral communications, time-management, and teamwork skills; attention to detail; ability to juggle competing priorities.
· Prior public speaking experience.
· Significant computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and experience in advancing program goals utilizing the internet and electronic advocacy.
· Energetic, friendly, sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, and able to work easily with diverse groups.
Salary commensurate with experience. PSR offers excellent benefits and a pleasant working environment, and is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Please send cover letter including salary requirements and resume, writing sample, and three references, by Friday, December 4:
Chapter Development/SPSR Manager
Physicians for Social Responsibility
1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1012
Washington, D.C. 20009
No calls please.